I attended the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign from 2009-2013 through the LEEP program. I concentrated the majority of my classes on children and young adult services. Below is a sample of projects that I created during my time in the program.
Literature and Resources for Young Adults
- He Reads/She Reads About Sex. Includes information books and fiction about sex and sexual experiences for teens. Created with a classmate–he did the male side and I did the female perspective. If I were creating this again I wouldn’t want to break it into male/female sections because of teens questioning their identities.
- Comics & Caffeine was a comic discussion group that I created a poster, bookmark, and tri-fold brochure for.
- Below is a link to a tri-fold bookmark I created for the class, entitled The Dead and the Undead.
Literature and Resources for Children
- For this class I created a readalike website for Savvy by Ingrid Law. Readers find their next great read by clicking on what they liked about Savvy.
- I created a personal story using iMovie. Using personal pictures and Creative Commons images, I told the story of training for my first 5k.
Instruction and Assistance Systems
- I designed an instruction project for teaching Biography in Context to 6th-8th graders. The outline includes learning outcomes, a rubric for determine success, and a class outline. I also made a worksheet for the students to take home.
Youth Services Librarianship
- I created an information resource for having teen volunteers at the library.
- Below is my facilitating change project. It’s a proposal for the library board to fund the purchase of 20 iPad minis. Includes a script for a board presentation, as well as a handout for the board.